Tuesday 4 March 2014

Oil painting: Manchester Road, Bradford

The sky is lit up on Manchester Road by some huge blue beacons atop a set of high rise blocks. These are the turbines installed to produce eco-friendly power, believed to be the first to top a residential building in Britain. They create an oddly futuristic landscape in an otherwise drab area of town and the contrast is quite stark.

I liked the composition of the old-world Station pub in the foreground with this Bladerunner-esque backdrop behind it. So I took a photo of it. Some loiterers outside the pub saw this as a valid reason to start a fight and crossed the road towards me. I was already returning to my friends car and we promptly locked the doors.

"Why you taking photos of me, eh?" the oik demanded.
"Why would I want to take a photo of your disfigured head?" Is what I didn't say.
Instead I calmly told him my real intentions and he cheerily waved us on (with 2 fingers).



My painting didn't seem to turn out as well as the location deserved, there just isn't something right about the composition. I tried adding a puddle first but it looked a bit odd. I also added the friendly local boy in the foreground.


So I left it for a while and recently went back to it. I added a completely wet road and a moon in the blank sky. It's probably better but not quite what I had in mind. Oh well, all that risk for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment