Monday 11 November 2013

Marilyn Monroe spray painting

Here's a recent commission I produced for my auntie who wanted a painting of Marilyn Monroe. There are a LOT of photos of Monroe but I thought one that was a little less well known and captured her in a more introspective mood would work well.

This is the one we decided on:


I then set about drawing it in 2 tones in Illustrator (with a third for the lips). The bottom layer is the grey, sprayed on first, then the black and finally the red.

With those drawn and printed out on A4, I drew a grid on them and massively scaled them up onto a large sheet of paper as the canvas is 90cm x 60cm.Oh yes, I hand draw my templates. With them drawn on 2 separate sheets, I then cut the shapes out using a scalpel. It's obviously important to leave your blank space open as any little 'islands' of white will be lost with the rest of the cut outs. Finicky? You better beleive it.



After all that, the spraying is the easy part although it can still go horribly wrong. I stick mine down using the terribly advanced technique of masking tape folded back on itself. This makes the lines crisper and stops the template flying away (like it did when I was spraying the red almost ruining everything). It also helps to spray outside unless you're looking for some hallucinogenic, fumey cellar fun.


And there you have it, Thoughtful Marilyn in 3 colours!



No comments:

Post a Comment